Friday, November 11, 2011

Feature Friday: The Orange Windmill


I'd like to take a moment to introduce you to one of my amazing new friends!  Her name is Shirley and she is the owner of The Orange Windmill on Etsy!

Here's a bit about her in her own words:

"I love journaling - I've been doing it since I was a young girl.  The best part of Christmas for me was the excitement of receiving a new diary - fresh, blank pages ready to be filled with all my secrets!  And being able to create journals for me is a wonderful dream come true for me!

The process of making journals is therapeutic for me, allowing me to work in silence.  (I'm the mother of a three-year-old and a baby, so silence is appreciated!)  I liken the process to Michelangelo's view of work, who said, "In every block of marble i see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action.  I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it."

I've named myself The Orange Windmill because I'm Dutch (the windmill is iconically Dutch), and my favourite colour is orange.  For all of you windmill fans out there, sorry, I don't make windmills."
Large Brown Leather Journal
Shirley makes all of her journals from scratch!  She hand-cuts the leather for covers and tears each sheet of paper individually.  She then binds each section of paper directly and permanently into the leather.

Embossed Rust Leather Journal
(You can see the wonderful binding details on the outside of the spine of each journal!)

Each journal also has a thick leather cord used as a closure.
Mini Chunky Journal
As you can see each journal is truly a masterpiece in itself!
Emerald Green Journal Set
You can see more of her beautiful creations by visiting her shop, The Orange Windmill.

You can also get to know Shirley through her BLOG, Facebook Page, Twitter, and Pinterest!

If you are looking for a beauiful one-of-a-kind gift for someone special this Christmas...or if you just want one yourself...be sure to check out Shirley's wonderful selection!